Friday, April 25, 2014

What’s the Motivation?


Yesterday’s blog focused on voluntary involvement in public affairs and activities. What types of people does it take for a community to accomplish the tasks that place sparkle and value to the image of a town? Are they opposites, some feeling enthused to get involved, while others sit on the sidelines wondering why some people are willing to do these thankless chores?

It is a complicated proposition. Some people don’t even need to be asked. They see a common need and address it in some manner. Others get involved with the activity or event once it is available but don’t give a moments thought to how that activity came into being.

Of course there are the cynics who worry such events are paid for by some public fund or taxpayer assistance! They may even believe that someone is doing this for their own gain – you know, build a successful event model and then go on to manage and ‘own’ that event in the future pulling ample profits from the till in the doing of it. Or maybe they suspect that someone is willing to do these public acts so they are primed to be noticed in the next election! Maybe even get elected to a job that pays a public salary. You know, the golden bonanza of public employment!!

Motivation I guess cannot be assumed. People will think it and talk about it. So I think it is important we admit that motivation is part of why people come forward to volunteer.  Here are a list of motivations that could apply.

First, “If I don’t do this how can I expect the job to get done at all?”  This is probably the number one motivation I think. Someone sees a need and fills it as best she or he can. They ask for bare bones help from their friends and family to make it happen. If successful others may emerge from the sidelines to lend their help as well. Long term success depends on others coming forward over time to adopt the activity and make it happen year after year. That’s a good thing. And no, no one got paid or earned a promotion or even was elected to public office. They did the work, and others benefitted from it.

Second, “I need to do this because it will make me feel better about myself.” This is probably the second most common motivation. Beautify my yard to boost the image of my neighborhood. Do the same for a public eyesore; clean it up and beautify it to improve the image of the community. In doing this activity I actually feel whole and healthy. I got to meet others who feel as I do about the task. Good people to know. Maybe we can get other things organized, too.  Motivation? To feel good. Be plugged in to the community, something larger than myself.

Third, “My kids need to see the family involved in the community so they do the same when they grow up.” Role model education is the motivation here. There is no telling what my kids will learn from this experience. They may find new friends, new art interests, new athletic outlets, social involvement and growth. Being involved with the community is infectious and growth oriented. It’s a good thing. And I want my kids to know this. Motivation? Is it recognition yet, or pay, or capital appreciation?  I don’t think so.

Fourth, “I don’t understand the issue everyone is talking about; if I get more involved maybe I will learn more.” Spirited public debate often seems polarizing, even nasty. How do I feel about the issue? Is it a problem I should be concerned about? Is it really that big or is someone playing a political game for some reason? I’ll never know if I don’t look into it for myself.”

Fifth, “Who deserves my vote in this election? Do I have a solid understanding of the comparative worth of the candidates? Are they reasonable problem solvers with their eye on the future of the community?”

Sixth, “How healthy is my community/neighborhood/block? Is it self sustaining? Do we exhibit pride of place and overall satisfaction of our surroundings? If not, why not? And what can we do about it?”

Seems to me this list of motivations can go on for a long time. And yet we do not encounter any personal payback as a motivator other than feeling good about self and better understanding of my community.

What do we get from this behavior from each person or a large number of them? A better community, a healthy one, town where people matter and surroundings are not taken for granted. 

I’d say that’s motivation enough, don’t you?

Cynics, hold your tongues!

April 25, 2014



No comments:

Post a Comment