Friday, January 4, 2019

Hope and Renewal: daily


I know that some of my readers think I am a ‘Pollyanna.’ Mostly think of the positive and optimistic side of life. Well, I may be guilty of the accusation, but when you think on it, there’s only three ways to go: positive, negative, and neutral. Even the neutral position is positive to a heavy degree. So, how can I go wrong being positive?

Besides, I see a lot of positives in life. I spent five decades helping nonprofits succeed, low income people stabilize their financial positions, university students find their way toward a life-long purpose and career and have carried all that experience and hope on to future generations currently.

In retirement I coach/mentor entrepreneurs in starting their new, small businesses. I also do the same for existing small businesses who have run into big challenges and need help to navigate around them. Doing this type of work, I meet people with imagination, intellect, hope and drive. They see potential and chase after it. They see problems and create profitable fixes. They see abject poverty and failed lives and restore hope and purpose to those folks.

Working with these good people, how can I possibly remain negative?

Oh yes, I complain. About the things that should be fixed. About the ideas and policies that do more damage than good, and about problems that can and should be avoided with a small bit of resolve and planning.

One thing that is not easily fixed is the planet’s environment. It is hurting and needs help. And that help will benefit the rest of us who rely on the planet as our home. That is all of us. Believers in climate change or not, we will die if we do not tend our own planet with care and respect. I’d rather err on the positive side of these arguments and do something positive for Mother Earth.

Besides, with all these positive people around me, how could I possibly be a gloomy Gus?

Join me and a few billion others to make the best of our lives together. A new year; a new opportunity. Let’s use it wisely!

January 4, 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment