Friday, January 11, 2019

Making a Difference


How can I make a difference? That question sounds many times each day. As people of goodwill encounter people with needs, they seek action to help them. Continuous action happens every day throughout the world. I can only speak of what I know here in my area. I see it each day. Do you?

Perhaps my experience is different. I worked for most of my 53-year career in nonprofit organizations. Even a few for profits, but then my efforts were focused on helping others within the reach of those corporations. So nonprofit operations come naturally to me.

Such work is done with people who strive to make a difference in the lives of others. Social workers, teachers, doctors, nurses, caregivers…the list is long. Whole careers, whole lives spent serving others. Cops do it; firemen do it; paramedics do it.

So do good Samaritans. Helping the outcast is always a need present in our lives. I often think they are there to remind me of how good life has been for me. I have had good times and bad, but mostly good, very good. I cannot complain. I dare not! Others have much meaner lives; they need help. We are strong so we can offer that help. It is a simple transaction.

But it is a call to action. Do we answer that call? Probably not all the time, but sometimes?

The measure of a nation’s soul, I think, is how readily its people answer the call to serve those in need. I wonder how America measures up these days?

An honest question seeking an honest answer.

Time we all provided it.

January 11, 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment