Thursday, January 31, 2019

Speech & Consequences


Whatever is on my mind I can share. With anyone. The means are there. Electronics make it happen in a split second. I can wallow in the beauty of nature, the depth of music, or the words of others. Reading or hearing; all is available in the electron-fed world.

And videos, too; news, art, dance or entertainment, a world view is instantly available.

I am not alone. Others are present. Their minds, too, are reachable. They share their thoughts and I do so as well. If the present is filled with frustration, words will be pushed forward. To whom is not known. Some will receive them blandly; others with insult; still others with anger.

Lashing out to air one’s feelings spills into dimensions unknown. Who it reaches – intended or not – is out of our control. The internet is like that. So, too, the words and expression of our minds. Once loosed they travel far.

Reactions can be swift. A nanosecond later someone is erupting and spewing words of vile reaction. The body politic comes alive with vitriol. Tone is set in deep territory. It will cool in time, but damage is done.

MAGA hats are speech. They represent something. The viewer is not controlled in what to think, what to perceive as the intent of the wearer. The stage has been set for reaction whatever the intended meaning.

So too dress, signage, and body language. Broadcasts are tactile; real. For anyone to see. We wear our speech as much as speak or write it.

The reactions are also free. They dance as daggers to hurt in spite. “How dare they make low my belief!” but they do, and the fight is on.

Yes, I am frustrated by current situations. Yes, I feel downcast and hurt at the danger of our days. And yes, I must vent in some way that releases my tension. But how to do this without damaging others? How do we co-exist without inflaming one another with our knee jerk actions?

I think we need to talk about this. What I feel is important for others to hear. It will help them relate what they feel. Together we can comfort each other. Later, we can probe for the why we feel this way. Perhaps we can find common cause?

At least we will know your travail, and you mine.

I want to understand your point of view. I yearn to understand how you came to conclusions that do not match my own. Is it because we are growing at different speeds and times? Or do the issues affect you and I in very different, specific ways? How can we help each other while not sharing the same beliefs?

By talking about these differences. Understanding them. Allowing them to coexist with ours. Different. Not dangerous. Your ideas do not threaten me or mine. Neither should  my ideas threaten you and yours.

Talk. One on one. Or in small groups. With an intent on learning the differences. Later the why. Also researching the facts upon which we build our understandings, our conclusions.

Perhaps we will find common thoughts. A basis of understanding. A means to peacefully co-exist.

I want this. I think others do as well.

To that end, a modest group of people will host an open discussion of issues that matter this Friday evening. With coffee and respect, we will talk in safety and feel each other’s presence. In a harsh world this should be a welcome escape.

We hope we will find a way forward to coexist. Together. I will share this experience in this blog if we are successful. Stay tuned for hope!

January 31, 2019




No comments:

Post a Comment