Friday, June 21, 2013

Strong or Weak?


I think I am a purposeful person. I think about things: ideas and circumstances; environments and dreams. I write about them. I also have opportunity to work with many people and their problems. If I can help them I will. Now retired I have time to devote to community needs I recognized while still active in my career, but couldn't do anything about because of time limits. Now I can invest time and effort on those needs.

It is fun to do so. It is creative work. It is challenging to meet people from so many walks of life, ages, health, ethnic backgrounds…you name it, we have the diversity to work with. The encounters, however, have demonstrated fundamental differences in how different people approach living their lives. Some are energetic and creative; others are idle observers and go with the flow; some people are stymied by challenges and sink below accumulating problems.

It’s rewarding to work with volunteers who gladly work to solve community problems, and lend a hand to someone in dire need. These folks are happy and healthy. They have energy and a ready smile. But we often don’t know what they are enduring in their own lives.

I found this on the internet the other day:

“Sometimes the strongest among us are the ones who smile through silent pain, cry behind closed doors, and fight battles nobody knows about.”
                                                                        ~Author Unknown

How true this is. An older parishioner at our church is suffering a health issue. He is a collector of motorcycles, has a passion for old cars, and remains active. I've seen him in local parades, caught glimpses of him riding one of his prized motorcycles around town. I've known him to take extended trips by motorcycles. I think of him being young and vigorous, and happily smiling always. News of his health problems uncovered his age of 87, and a digestive problem that turns out to be cancer. His life is now threatened. I had no idea his age was as advanced as it is, and that he had been having health problems. His active lifestyle and positive outlook fooled me.

How many others do we think are just fine and dandy but are secretly dealing with heavy issues in their lives? Oh we know the ones who make a big deal about their problems, in fact share their predicaments with many but don’t do much bout them. They await help from others. They live their lives very differently from those who suffer in private but remain cheerful.

Wonder to which group of personalities I belong? Hope I’m the silent suffering smiley person! But maybe not! Guess I’ll just have to be more purposeful and aware. Not a bad idea for each of us, eh?

June 21, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment