Saturday, June 29, 2013

Thought for the Day


I don’t know who wrote this or even which website carried it, but Rocky found it and shared it with me the other day:

            “When writing the story of your life, don’t let anyone else hold the pen.”

To that I say Amen!

In a large way I’m writing the story of my life through this blog. I started it for many reasons. It has helped me clarify my thinking. It has helped keep my raging thoughts out of my newspaper writing! It has opened lines of communication among many friends and family members.

Giving witness to your own thoughts as they form, or as they collide with other ideas you didn't think had any connection, is exciting. I’m responsible for what I think at any given moment. The words I write have to connect with reality and logic. A discipline takes shape in the process. It is a good discipline.

Writing seems concrete and forever. Talking does not. Too many do not ‘own’ their rants or thoughts. Putting those same ideas into print makes a difference. It attaches to the person. If they wish to disown them, they watch what they say and write in the future. For all of us that is a very good thing.

Think about your own story. How will it shape up? What do you hope it will become? Are you owning that story or letting others write it for you?

Think what that means – to you today and to you in the future. Who is the author of your life?

June 29, 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment