Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Prozac Sunday


I’m on Prozac, or actually, Fluoxetine, a generic replacement for Prozac. I've been taking this antidepressant for 19 years to address mood swings generally induced by weather patterns; but not always! Not liking to take pills, I skip this prescription from time to time, usually only for a day or two at a time. The results are interesting.

Family members have long known when I skipped a dose! They picked up on my crotchety-ness and shortness of temper. Usually within 10 minutes of greeting me for the day.

This past Sunday was sunny and pleasant early in the morning. So I skipped taking the pill. Within moments of driving to church, I was cranky over traffic lights. Always red! With no cross traffic! Why have the light when no purpose is served? I thought that was logical, but no, Rocky immediately asked if I had taken my Prozac? And I was caught just like that.

I continued the entire day without the drug but the weather remained sunny and delightful so I was in good shape. I’ll take the pill this morning just to be sure! And to get back on track.

This incident reminds me of so many things. All are related to how I (and by extension, everyone else!) react to my surroundings. Am I automatically positive or negative?  What irritates me instantly? Why don’t all things affect me in that way all the time? Why am I able to pass off without thinking and reaction? What, if anything, causes me instant positive reaction?

I suppose some things are invisible to us under normal circumstances. Sunny pleasant days are taken for granted. It is much more difficult to ignore the negative aspects of a gloomy, wet and stormy day. Most of us I think react negatively to the bad weather days. Interestingly, some weather conditions spark our interests and cause fond feelings. A crisp wintry day with fresh snowfall is just such a one. Sometimes a misty, foggy day makes us feel cozy and snug, particularly welcoming of close family contact. That’s a good feeling.

Seasonal Affective Disorder – SAD – has been under the microscope in psychology circles for many decades. Little definitive findings conclude SAD as a disease, disorder or nuisance social behavior. Serotonin and Melatonin additives via Prozac and other drugs seem to help, or at least moderate the effects of SAD. No one, however, has been able to label the cause of the behaviors let alone its connection to weather conditions! Science does have its limits. Check out SAD at Mayo Clinic’s website for more information. (Don’t you just love Google?)

This past Sunday the confirmation class students led the congregation in worship. They treated it as an educational exercise and asked each of us to fill out a form answering several questions. One question was identifying our personal mood as we entered worship. Later we were asked what our mood was as we left worship. Anxious at the beginning? Peaceful at the end? Which was a condition of life or of Prozac or lack of same? Which was the palliative effect of the act of worship?

Interesting experience and a job well done by the youth. They are explorers of what we take for granted. They are seekers of truth and limits of their personal theologies. And by extension they help us think through our own theologies.

I would prefer giving up Prozac entirely and allow theology to do the work. But faith and medicine compete closely! And for now I’ll stick with the pill. Oh, and I will continue to attend church regularly and explore faith issues. Who knows? Prozac and Fluoxetine may lose out one day!

April 28, 2015






No comments:

Post a Comment