Friday, April 17, 2015

Stories that Teach


Every now and then (rarely) the pastor of my church asks me to deliver a sermon. Well, we will call it a sermon but it probably isn't truly a sermon as most of us have come to know that term. Roman Catholics are familiar with homilies – a short message by the priest that lifts up the biblical message of the day and brings it home to the modern day.

In protestant churches sermons serve the same purpose as a homily but often are invested with deeper meaning and scholarship. This is the time, after all, when the church intends to teach the congregation fuller aspects of the faith. Many ministers see the sermon as ‘bringing home the bacon’ for the congregation. Indeed, there are those among the older and wiser members, who grade the church on the variety, intent and intellectual content of the sermons. I don’t think I want to be a congregant there!

Our pastor is down to earth and preaches logically and earnestly. She demonstrates her humanity easily and thus burnishes her message with the common touch of today,  and its surrounding culture. The pastor delivers her sermons well: thought out, easy to understand language, humor, some dramatic flourishes and so on. Job well done!

When lay members are asked to do the sermon she advises them simply – ‘people like stories’. Keep it simple and focus on a story that delivers the message you intend for the day. We are not required to follow the lectionary readings and themes. No; we are free to speak from the heart on something that matters. And we usually do!

I’m thinking of writing a book. Actually I've thought of this for several years now, and friends and blog followers have expressed support that I work on a book. So I am now committed to doing so!

The immediate issue, of course, is finding the focal point of such a project, and the topical content, over all organizational structure of the project, and so on. I keep coming back to stories. Perhaps stories will be a good organizing means to writing a book?

I have a lot of content. Nearly 1200 daily blogs amounting to probably 700,000 words, maybe more. No, content and volume of same, is not the problem. Organizing the mass into a meaningful message is. What’s my main point? How will I deliver on the point in a way that people will remember, oh heck, even be willing to read the contents? What do I have to say that is important enough for others to want to read let alone buy a book containing it?

I’m not alone with this mystery of course. All authors struggle with this phase of the project until they arrive one day with the magical organizing method and topical focus. I’m still thinking about stories and story lines. Let me demonstrate what I’m thinking of.

The Bible has its parables. Stories if you will. Stories demonstrating what the writers of the Bible wanted to say but in simple form. Some of the parables were cryptic, easily misunderstood. But the tale was told so listeners to biblical readings would think about the points made, and their complexity in the ocean of simplicity. They could ask their leaders, ‘what does this mean, master?’ And then be taught the lesson. In those days few could read. Very few books (scrolls, tablets, memory recitations) were in existence.

So stories were a tool to discuss and teach groups of people. In this way the storyline of entire cultures and religions were passed down through time to the present day. Much like American Indian lore of which little is preserved in literary/symbolic form, oral history was provided, enacted in drama art, visual arts and cultural rites. History has a way to make its presence known. In one form or another a storyline is used to do this.

Perhaps that is the way I will impart my message. Using illustrative stories to do my bidding. We shall see. A return to old ways may be the gateway to the new tomorrows.

April 17, 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment