Monday, November 19, 2018

Mood of a Nation


Not sure which clues are most powerful in measuring national mood. Is it consumer spending patterns and their shift trends? Is it replacement frequency of automobiles? Is it personal clothing and style changes? Is it volunteerism? Voter turnout?

So many indicators of moods and shifts of same.

I like watching crowds as they go about their routines. Do they smile at one another? Or are their faces flatlined, focused on doing? Do they frown or grimace as they walk down the street? Or are they engaged with their phones either in conversation or message reading? Are they aware of others around them and polite toward them? Or do they barge ahead as part of the crowd rumble?

In an elevator, do the passengers greet one another? Or do they demur the effort? Are they bashful and shrinking, or are they responsive and smiling?

As I write these blogs each day I am aware of my moods. They shift while writing. Of course. They propel my thoughts and words appearing on these pages. Sometimes, though, the moods are opposite the message.

Odd isn’t it? I may feel a swell of doom and depression but continue writing the positive urgings on others. You know, the pushing them toward long term success or victory over hardship. Other times, I may be sharing an opinion on the troubles of our society while feeling buoyant and upbeat. I’m not sure why such conflicted feelings accompany this activity. But they do.

I recall a time when my mother was acting strangely. Dad was at a loss to explain it and shared that in some of his letters and phone calls. Living 1800 miles apart, I told him I thought she might be entering a period of elder depression. I wasn’t sure what this is, but I suggested he talk with her doctor. Sure enough, she was diagnosed with depression. Transitory to aging. That’s what he said. A few pills should get her over the hump. She was insulted at the suggestion, but took the pills and two months later snapped out of the mood swing.

I’m the age she was then. I can feel the mood shift between positive and negative. Sometimes the weather is the catalyst. Music is often the agent that boosts me out of it. News is often depressing, not the acts of nature, but the troubles caused by acts of human behavior. Political nonsense mostly, but such often creates problems the rest of us have to live with. And pick up the pieces. With the realization the whole mess could have been avoided with proper policy.

This is the context of our times. I should be feeling better knowing the recent elections appear to have restored some balance to the national and regional political scenery. Time will tell if that will happen, but patience is needed. Aging tests patience more than youth did.

Perhaps that is the sticking point in elder moods? Patience and dwindling time? Ever present and known. The countdown to timelessness. Patience indeed!

November 19, 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment