Thursday, November 8, 2018

Passages


As I write this on election day (11/7/18), I remember 57 years ago. I was 18. My brother’s first born came on that day, November 6th, 1961. I was a new freshman at Knox College in Galesburg, Illinois. It was exciting to think of myself as an uncle. With Sherm and his family in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, I could only wonder at their excitement over this day.

Now, 57 years later, Doug is an executive in a major, national corporation. He has his own family expanding by the month! It is a time for babies and grandchildren. The generations just keep coming. And that’s one of the grandest rewards for living I can think of.

Two days and 10 years later, November 8, 1971, our first born came into the world. Elizabeth will be celebrating her 47th birthday tomorrow. She has a family all her own and one that is following much in our footsteps. Her oldest is now 17 and will go off to college less than a year from now. We are hoping she will attend Knox College, too, but that decision awaits. Hers and the college’s. the application has been sent, and to several other schools as well.

Generations coming and going. Earlier this year my mother died at 104 years of age, the last of our previous generation. Now we are the elders. And our kids are progressing toward the same status. And their kids face managing a society and nation and world that is as perplexing to them as it was and is to us. At that time, I thought we had the answers!  I thought we had the best interests of mankind in hand and mind. I’m certain we did, but things didn’t work out as I had hoped. The world then was a mess; today it is a mess.

Today’s election presents the opportunity to make things better, or make things worse. Both are likely outcomes simultaneously. That’s something I learned over the years.

Passage of time; passage of generations; passage of hope and striving.

Passages all. Each different. Each holding a solemn pledge of loyal discernment. Each requiring our best efforts to do good in the world. The good God knows I’ve held tightly to this pledge. And labored accordingly. Still do; still hope; still work for the best ends.

Others don’t, but theirs is a pledge as well, to do the best they can; it is just opposite my belief and value system. It opposes what I support. And all of history echoes this theme endlessly. It is the challenge of our times for each of us. Each of us is in a different time slot and process of discerning. Each of us gathers what makes sense to us. Pity it is so different from others.

Why? Why is this? And can anything be done about it?

We dare to ask that question. With effort, we will attempt to answer it. Anyone else interested to go on this ride together?

November 8, 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment