Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Drag and Click


When desk top computers became more prevalent, followed by the explosion of laptop computers, ‘drag and click’ exercises were made a part of the software package. Drag and click – the operation which allows the operator to point with the mouse to an object on the computer screen, than drag it to another location and click to leave it there. That’s what I’m referring to.

The largest exercise to help people learn this operation was solitaire.

Now you know what I mean! I loved playing solitaire on the computer. It is fast. No cards to shuffle. No dealing the cards. No laborious and boring pulling and sliding and sorting the cards to the proper sites. Now it was done in living color quickly and easily. My speed improved. I became a whiz.

I also became addicted to this. One day I spent 7 hours raptly engulfed in it. Finally I deleted it from my computer so I would not be so tempted in the future. Yet new computers and discovering ‘retrieve and restore’ features allowed me to resume some of my previous addiction. I still play solitaire, but as a palette cleanser between projects. It helps me think forward on the next task.

These days the addiction is under control. And no, I did not allow it to capture my life, nor did I allow it to become a gateway to other computer-based addictions like poker, black jack or any other folly. I've been good! Yay team!

But….playing solitaire the other day allowed me this conclusion: boring is boring whether from solitaire or watching the news. Think about it.

I've gotten so bored by the news lately that I actually prefer watching a TV series rerun without the ads. It is more engaging and life affirming. Certainly more so than the news.

Not that the news is all bad. It isn't: weather is good unless they over blow the pending gloom of storms and attendant possibility of Armageddon! All sports is folly to me, unless it is my team’s advancement in the national standings (oh please, the Cubs are not contenders, ever; the Bears are usually disappointing, and there are no other teams I actually care about!). Natural disasters are of interest because they are so unpredictable and could affect me or loved ones; and the drama is so universal a concern.

But international news is rarely about them, it usually gets turned around to be a threat to the USA and then on to who’s to blame? So, political nonsense takes over that report and makes it useless, superfluous certainly, and ultimately dangerous to us because blaming ourselves for the ills of the Middle East is pure crap. Or Benghazi, Libya, Crimea, Ukraine, etc. Those people have a responsibility to manage their own affairs. If they need humanitarian assistance then we should be there to help. But militarily, ideologically? Bosh!

Let’s see, American national news. There really isn't any. It is all political folly these days. Who’s on first, who’s to blame for whatever, and how nice the new guy looks on TV. Maybe he should run for president? Before we learn what’s on his mind or what the vacancy in the cranium holds? Again bosh.

If leaders and news people wish Americans to take them seriously, they first need to get in touch with what is important, what is factual, what is our vision of the future, and then attempt to make that possible. Ideology is currently empty. Highly educated people spout nonsense on every topic: medicine, economics, history, culture, governance, social and entertainment. In fact entertainment has become the big word for all of the news industry. If it is entertaining it will sell and grab ratings.

Not! Or rather it should not. Who makes this possible? You and I. We turn on the boob tube and watch it (whether on our I-phones or I-pads or computers). We provide the ratings. We make the dumb shows possible. And that includes the dumb news, including NBC News with Brian Williams. So disappointing. So discouraging.

I think we are better than all of this. I think we can return to a more serious age of concern, intellectual engagement and problem solving that is reasonable and accessible. It is not rocket science. It is personal.

It is you and I being willing to pay attention to what is important.

Are you ready?

May 13, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment