Monday, May 12, 2014

Incompetence - Corporate America



Modern technology has revolutionized communications. They are smooth, quick and accurate. And cheap. So cheap robots now make the calls, record the answers and do so digitally. So well does this service work, costs have plummeted for many corporations in dealing with customer service. But not all.

Apria Health Services generally provides respiratory products and services. I’m on oxygen provided by a machine called a concentrator. Before that I was on tanks. Big tanks and small tanks. Now I only have small tanks for back up should the power go out or the concentrator quit working.

I've been on these services since 2006 or 2007. I’m no longer on oxygen 24/7 but at night for 8 hours, and for long naps during the day.

The equipment is supposed to be checked quarterly and the individual tanks replaced as needed and used up. Robo calls make the visitation appointments. Robo calls make the reminder calls. Robo calls take your answers digitally, and late arrivals are communicated, again by robo calls. Not very personal. But efficient.

Trouble is we moved a month ago. I called Apria and changed the address so they didn't think I had run off somewhere with their equipment! Also to help them find me when they next needed to make a delivery or check the equipment.

However, they have attempted to service the equipment at least twice recently, maybe 4 times. Each of the appointments were missed; we were stood up. I called this time and asked if they had the right address; they didn't. When I registered my surprise they put me on hold twice trying to switch me to someone else. The call took over 30 minutes with no progress made.

It’s easy to understand what happened. The corporation is too large and the right and left hands do not know what the other is doing. Internal corporate communications are not functioning properly. Their billings are up to date. Their insurance information is up to date. Their physician referrals are up to date. Just their patient data is not up to date.

And evidently no interest in making improvements.

I cannot tell you how many times I have run into this corporate myopia. American firms who think they do great work but aren't really! In fact, they act as though they don’t want to correct anything. The problem is with the patient. Not them. No authority is exercised to correct the problem.

Why do we Americans put up with this? Let’s see, you all complain about smaller government and the governments all have contracted because the economy tanked as a direct result of dumb politicians making decisions that did great damage to the economy. They blame government. It isn't government careerists. It’s dumb politicians playing politics.  But wait! American business is building nicely and getting reinvented using the taxpayer paid-for infrastructure and research and development. They want all the freebies, and they want lower taxes, but then they don’t make the investment in the economy that the rest of us do. No, government gets smaller, people complain about government not doing what they are supposed to do, yet government costs are dropping, jobs are dropping (government ones) and then the politicians wonder why employment hasn't recovered.

It has recovered. Private employer jobs are growing very well. It’s government jobs that need to be rejuvenated.

Meanwhile, American businesses treat their customers like shit and expect us to remain loyal to them.

All I ask is competency. I don’t expect their loyalty. Just do the right thing at the right time because that’s what you are getting paid to do.

When I point this out to you, I expect an apology and a thank you for pointing out their error. It would be even nicer if they all thanked me for telling them exactly how to fix their problem as well. But then, that’s a retired consultant’s habit. I guess I shouldn't expect a thank you anymore than I would expect an invoice paid in my name.

Would be nice, though.

May 12, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment